Monday, August 4, 2014

I Do Not like to Fail


I have always enjoyed learning, and find it exciting and challenging. I remember my kindergarten teacher once taught me the concept of friction, and I tried it out with many different objects. It was fun. When I do not understand a concept quickly, I get frustrated. I don’t have the patience to learn it from someone else, and I just want to figure it out myself.  In front of people, I do not like to accept my mistakes, and I do not like to let people know I failed. This is how I was (maybe still somewhat), and I do not enjoy it.

During a chess game recently, when I lost, and my opponent shook my hand; I got so angry that I started telling him to shut up. You can tell that was embarrassing.

Last year, my brother and I did a charity sale of our toys, and we sold zero items. I was miserable. I had worked hard to create flyers and posted them outside my front yard one day in advance so people would know about it. I and my brother stood outside with the sale sign next to a table full of toys for 3 hours and not a single customer came to our table. Few people passed by, and we just smiled. My mom asked me later that night, “what was the biggest mistake in your sale?” I did not want to answer her or even speak with anyone about it. Deep in my mind I knew that I needed customers and my house was on a quiet street and not just the right place to do it.

Recently I was reading a book that had a question which caught my attention, “Would you rather try more ambitious things knowing you might fail or try easier things knowing you would succeed?” Obviously, I want to do ambitious things, it’s fun!

If doing ambitious things is fun, then failing should also be fun, and this is what I must learn. When we fail, we look over our mistakes, carefully spotting the miscalculations in our ideas. Failure and defeat are life’s greatest teachers.


Failures of famous people:
·       It took Thomas Edison 10,000 tries to make the light bulb!
·       In her lifetime, Emily Dickinson published less than a dozen of her 1,800 poems! After Emily Dickinson died, the rest of her poems were found
·     Vincent Van Gogh only sold ONE painting out of 900 in his life! The rest of his paintings were found after he died





Source: GoComics.com


4 comments :

  1. wow...excellent message! Dont worry about being what you are - it is a common challenge found among many people. The important thing is that you have taken a note of it and are willing to work on it. I would love to see another post about it sometime this year on whether you think you made any progress on your attitude towards failing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, great idea of keeping track of my progress in attitude. This year whenever I have a major failure, I will post a blog on it about how I felt and how I handled it. Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. Writing Girl - I wanted to let you know that I have read this particular article of yours atleast 5 times now. I find it very motivating to learn that if a child at 7 yrs age can acknowledge such a difficult personality challenge and is willing to work towards it, then a person like me who is a fully grown adult should absolutely be able to do it as well. Thanks for being such a motivating force for people around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely message, you really made my day. You also motivate me with your comments.

      Delete