Saturday, October 11, 2014

My loss at the Chess tournament

Yesterday was the day of my school chess tournament. The top 12 of the 64 kids would make the school chess travel team. Before the tournament I thought I had a chance to make the team. Top 5 would get trophies, and I thought I could even get one of the trophies! I was feeling super-duper excited. If I got on the team, it would be sooooooo much fun! I thought.


As I entered into the room where the chess tournament was being held, I got ready for the first game. We had to play 5 games in all. I lost 3 and won 2. Obviously, I didn't make it to the school travel chess team.

After the tournament I was feeling so miserable. What made me feel more miserable was that my brother made the travel team. Though, I was happy for him, it made me feel not equal. Also, first I thought kids on the team can skip school to go for practice and tournaments, and that would be so much fun. Later I learned that this is all after school and on weekends, then I was somewhat less mad. Today I am going to watch a movie after writing this blog, and also feeling better with time.

Two important things I learned through the tournament:
  1. I need to improve my strategies to block the queen when she comes into my territory and kills my pieces
  2. I need to take my time to move a piece. I was rushing
Sadly, I now have to wait for the entire school year until I can tryout for the team again. I think the school should have tryouts at least two times a year. Maybe I discuss this with my teacher and see what she thinks. If she agrees too, we can both go and discuss with the principal! Good luck to me on this!


-Writing Girl


With mom just after the tournament ended. I didn't feel like seeing anyone.

Below is my analysis of the games I played:

Game 1:
I used my knight to give a family fork and won his queen - good
I let him give a fork of my bishop and queen - bad
My opponent: At endgame position he did not move his pawns down so I gave him a rook roller mate - good for me
My opponent: when I gave him the family fork, he moved his king to a square next to the queen so he could at least get my knight when I killed his queen - bad for me
I won that game because he did not move his pawns down so he could not escape my rook roller.

Game 2:
I took advantage when one of his pawns was guarding his knight and his rook - good
I let him take advantage of when my pawn was guarding my my bishop and knight - bad
My opponent: when I killed his rook he did not kill my bishop - good for me
My opponent: when I moved my queen he gave me a family fork. I lost that game because of the family fork my opponent gave me.   

Game 3:
I used a skewer to get his rook - good
My opponent: he kept his king and bishop on the same colored square so I gave him a fork to get his bishop. I lost the game because my opponent gave me a rook roller.

Game 4:
I let my opponent get my bishop for free - bad
My opponent: he moved his rook in a spot where it blocked all the spots where the king could move so I was able to give my opponent checkmate. That reason is why I won the game.


Game 5:
I tried my best to kill his pieces after he got my rook - good

I let his queen in my territory. What he did good was that he gave me a fork with his queen; since he forked my king and rook, I was forced to move my king and he got my rook. I lost the game because he got my rook.

4 comments :